Water Heaters have been around since the Romans. They have come a long way, especially in terms of efficiency and safety, to make it easier for you to enjoy your hot showers. Historically, people used to have hammam publicly, where they heat tons of water and then place it into an insulated bathtub, where it stays heated for a long time.
This system of the hot bath was quite inefficient and lacked privacy. Only rich people were able to afford this hot bath privately. But now everything is changed when water geysers (formally known as water heaters) were introduced.
In Pakistan, there is a lot of variety in Geysers. They come in different sizes and features. Geyser price is highly dependent on its size. Each type of geyser has its own range of size. So let’s discuss its types first.
Types of Geysers
There are four main types of water geysers:
- Electric geyser
- Gas geyser
- Tankless or instant geyser
- Gas Electric (Hybrid) geyser
Electric geyser uses electricity as their energy source, which is more expensive than gas or oil for homes in Pakistan. However, it’s much safer because there are no open flames like those from water geysers that use gas or oil.
They aren’t smaller in size but are easily installable and are used only when required. Turning them on and off is quite easy as compared to the traditional gas geyser. It also has a large water tank that can store heated water for later usage. They also cost less compared to other geysers.
Rule of thumb: If you manually turn this geyser on and off. Start it at least 30 min before usage as it takes time to properly heater up the water.
Gas Geyser heats cold water to a preset temperature and stores hot water until it’s needed for use. It uses natural gas, propane, fuel oil, or other combustible gases as its energy source. Many people prefer this type of water geyser because it’s more efficient and can provide water at a very high temperature.
In Pakistan, it was being used in the homes until we started facing a shortage of natural gas, especially in winters. People were forced to use gas pumps to attain natural gas uninterruptedly. A lot of new buyers prefer electric geysers, specifically for this reason.
Tankless/ Instant Electric Geyser
Instead of storing it in a tank for later use, it heats water on demand. They are smaller than traditional water geysers because they don’t have to store gallons of hot water.
there are further two types of instant geysers
- Gas Instant Geyser
- Electric Instant Geyser
Electric and gas instant water heaters only produce the amount of hot water. You’re using it at that moment, which can be helpful for homes with multiple water users.
Misconception: Many people regard this as a simple electric geyser in Pakistan, but it is a tankless water geyser.
Hybrid Geyser (Gas Electricity Geyser)
In recent years, local manufacturers understood the problem of Pakistani customers with gas in winters, which resulted in a new type, hybrid water geyser.
It uses both electricity and natural gas. It typically has an electric water heating element and a burner with another heat source (Electric water heating coil) to produce hot water, which can be more efficient than two separate systems.
Price of Water Geyser in Pakistan
As discussed earlier, The cost of a geyser greatly depends on the type and size you are interested in. Now, Let’s see the latest prices of geysers in Pakistan.
Geyser Pricelist of 2022
On average, a geyser price can range from 10,000/- to 40,000/- PKR. Compared to gas geysers, electric geysers cost less but consume more energy. On the other hand, a gas geyser will save your overall bill by thousands.
If we talk about brands of Pakistani geysers, mostly Nasgas and Canon water geysers are customers’ usual get-to-go choices. These geysers may be a bit overpriced as they have gained the trust of customers.
Recommendations for Selection of a Geyser
What is the most reliable and effective water heater to purchase, if you ask us? We would reply that it all depends on two questions, what type of geyser would best fit your needs and how much hot water you use per day.
- An average household will likely need 20 gallons of water stored at 120 degrees Fahrenheit for showering and doing laundry. So, a standard 20-gallon gas geyser would quickly fulfill your need.
- Another option may be using a tankless unit, which only supplies the necessary amount without wasting energy on storing extra water.
- The 3rd option is my favorite. Segment your house into 2 parts or portions, install 1 tankless heater and 1 gas heater. Use as a heater for daily usage, and if gas starts doing problem and you have to take warm batch, turn on the tankless/instant electric geyser.
- Lastly, install an electric geyser with the tank if you can afford high electric bills. Although this is a lot of load shedding in Pakistan, its tank can store heated water for many hours.
The key points to consider when buying a geyser.
The capacity and efficiency of your water geyser determine how much hot water is available in the home.
- The size of your water geyser should correspond to the amount of space you have since they come in different sizes (Small/ Medium/ Large). ·
- The water geyser type you choose should be based on the amount of water needed, how often it’s used, and your budget.
- Make sure to check warranties while buying a water geyser so that if something goes wrong, you don’t have to pay out-of-pocket expenses. Double-check that starting date is mentioned properly.
- Energy Factor is a water geyser’s performance rating that measures its ability to provide hot water with the energy it consumes (Gas and electricity). The higher the Energy Factor, the more efficient your water geyser will be. You can find energy consumption details in the instruction manual.
Recovery Rate tells you how long it takes for your water geyser to recover after it has been turned off so you can have hot water again. So, ask for the estimated recovery rate.
Good Water Geyser Attributes
- It should be durable.
- It should come with a warranty.
- The water heating system of good geysers is energy efficient.
- It must need to have an effective recovery rate that ensures a fast, hot water supply to your faucets and appliances. Bad Geysers will have low recovery rates.
- It should be safe for the environment and your water.
- Good geyser brands will have a corrosion-resistant tank to ensure durability, longevity, and safety in use. In contrast, A poor-quality geyser may rust over time if it is not made up of durable materials (like stainless steel or aluminum).
Safety Consideration of Geyser
Water geysers should not operate non-stop unless it’s an emergency as they emit carbon monoxide. This dangerous gas can cause fatalities when inhaled in large amounts over a period of time. Your water geyser cannot filter out this poisonous gas, so don’t ever use them for drinking warm water.
If you require that, you can get it done by installing a ventilator or flue for your geyser system. Doing so will help keep your family safe from any harmful emissions.
Geyser should be installed by a professional. The geyser tank should not touch the wall or anything else for that matter. Please make sure there are at least 12 inches of space around it.
The material quality of the geyser
The quality of materials used also determines how energy efficient it can be since cheaper ones tend to lose hot water quickly when their heating system frequently fails, leading to high bills too that add up monthly, yearly, or never end depending on its usage rate.
How does a water geyser work
A geyser can quickly provide hot water for personal or office use without the involvement of any physical person in the heating process. It can be used for heating water in homes and buildings and the large industry. It uses some energy (Gas or electricity) to heat water until it’s hot enough for a user.
Its specially built body allows it to store heated water for a long period. Specially designed internal architecture heats the water evenly and in the most efficient possible way. Most gas geysers use a rustproof water tank coated with glass will for heat insulation.
Coldwater moves through the water pipe (bundled with a copper net) or towards the water storage drum (usually made from insulating material). This drum or pipe net acts as a heat exchanger. The heat is generated via gas or electricity and heats the water. This hot water is the flow-through water outlet, and we get our hot water.
How to increase the efficiency of water geysers
Water boils at 212F ( 100 degrees Celsius). The geyser temperature should be set at 100F (38 degrees Celsius) Fahrenheit, close to human body temperature.
This is the perfect temperature to ensure all water stays natural (without any gas) and consumes less energy in Pakistan.